The NHS values
- Working together for patients
- Respect and dignity
- Commitment to quality of care
- Improving lives
- Everyone counts
Job area information
Did you know there are many support roles in the NHS? Some roles involve providing direct care for patients whilst other roles involve back office roles either in a hospital setting, in the community or in a GP Practice.
Without strong financial management, the NHS wouldn't be able to provide medical treatment and clinical care. Managing the finances of a health organisation, whether it is a hospital, ambulance service trust, mental health trust or clinical commissioning group, is like running the finances of a large company.
Working in finance is an example of a support back office role and includes:
- payroll and pensions - ensuring staff get paid
- accounts - paying for goods and services, collecting income
- financial systems - the Information Technology (IT) systems that track all financial activity
- management information - gathering and interpreting the financial data required to make day-to-day and strategic management decisions
- reporting - preparing annual financial reports
Watch this video to find out more about working in a finance department.